11/28/2014 0 Comments
My wife and I are expecting our first child in March and we're really excited! So excited, in fact, that my wife has been looking at different themes for the nursery and how we can make it great without having to invest too much money into furniture and thematic components.
Lucky for us, we were able to borrow a large amount of nursery furniture from my brother and sister in law. They get a super huge shout out from us for their support!
My wife started to look around the wonderful world of pintrest to see project ideas I could build to finish off the space and improve the function where needed.
I'm building two projects:
1) floating book shelves which I drew in SketchUp and then built. They are made of plywood that I sanded and then painted with a very close match black-brown ikea style paint.
2) A baby change table that I designed to sit on the IKEA dresser to help our backs while changing the diapers. I built this project out of Baltic birch because is incredibly stable and won't warp as bad as other lower quality plywoods will over time. I sanded the surfaces and finished it with a slick coat of Tung Oil which is baby friendly should she decide to lick it haha.
Thanks for checking out my work! More projects are still coming down the pipe!
11/19/2014 0 Comments
First Panel glue up!
Below is my first panel glued up in my new shop. It's going to be something very cool. Come back soon to see more progress photos. It's all maple..
11/15/2014 1 Comment
My wife saw something on pintrest..
I wonder how many woodworkers have been approached about something a client has seen on Pintrest.. My wife asked me to make some floating book shelves for our daughters room and gave me a pintrest picture. Yesterday I started to work with some scrap pieces of plywood and here's where I got to.
The bottoms of the shelves are 3" wide with an oak lip for some durability. I'm going to use a roundover bit in my router to give everything a smooth finish. Each shelf will be assembled using pocket holes and screws. Paint will be a dark brown color similar to the "black brown" furniture from Ikea.
11/15/2014 0 Comments
I've been working on a bowl using Bloodwood lately and had to stop working on it to work on some other stuff. It sat on my desk for about a week and when I came back to it last night, it was all cracked! I filled all of the cracks with CA glue to keep it stable enough to finish I hope.
11/2/2014 1 Comment
Apple Awards Complete!
I was approached at work to create some new awards for staff and was definitely excited for the opportunity to do so! I turned all parts on the lathe to get a feel for the older lathes and learn their quirks (the three main work horses are over 20 years old!). There are definitely some quirks!
I turned three different apples out of Paduk at home and put a coat of rung oil on them to get a good smell from the wood and give them a smooth finish.
At work, I turned three separate bases out of birch I had kicking around and the last one was sandwiched with birch and a piece of cherry in the middle.
The stems I made out of leaf stems that I found outside (there's lots of them around in the fall) and I epoxied the apples to the bases and the stems to the apples.
I really love the way these turned out and I super stoked to get students using the lathes and other larger tools to make some really unique work going forward. Thanks as always for following my work and checking out my website.
Welcome to WoodProjectsbyBagel!