I was approached at work to create some new awards for staff and was definitely excited for the opportunity to do so! I turned all parts on the lathe to get a feel for the older lathes and learn their quirks (the three main work horses are over 20 years old!). There are definitely some quirks!
I turned three different apples out of Paduk at home and put a coat of rung oil on them to get a good smell from the wood and give them a smooth finish.
At work, I turned three separate bases out of birch I had kicking around and the last one was sandwiched with birch and a piece of cherry in the middle.
The stems I made out of leaf stems that I found outside (there's lots of them around in the fall) and I epoxied the apples to the bases and the stems to the apples.
I really love the way these turned out and I super stoked to get students using the lathes and other larger tools to make some really unique work going forward. Thanks as always for following my work and checking out my website.
Welcome to WoodProjectsbyBagel!