Yesterday was really productive! I was able to turn three award bases for the apples out of birch scraps I had laying around the shop. All three are different and have an edge angled out to allow for a small plaque to be mounted on each one.
I'm glad I didn't cut off the apples from the stumps yet. I'll carve the studs down to a consistent diameter and then epoxy them to the bases. I love how this project came together! I'm excited to finish it hipefully tomorrow after work. Thanks for checking out my work.
I'll have more updates soon as a few more project plans get finalized.
I'll have finish photos to post tomorrow once i carve out the bottoms of the bases.
Here are some Paduk apples I'm making for work trophies! I'm slowly getting things set up at my home shop and am now able to do some small stuff there. I found a large chunk of paduk and cut it into the equal blocks. Turned the tenon to fit in my jaws and then freely shaped what I think looks to be apples. I sanded them to finish the shape up to steel wool which gave them a decent shine. I need to figure out how to make stems for them.
The bases for these bad boys are all made of birch, one is from a birch log that still has the bark on it and it took a really long time to get it smooth on top and bott from cutting it by hand.
Next I need to figure out how to mount them and make a clear location for little plaques that will be mounted on them.
This is a really cool project that I'm stoked to see how it turns out. More project stuff coming soon! Thanks for checking out my work!
Welcome to WoodProjectsbyBagel!