I'm alive and back with project updates!! It's been a crazy busy time at work these last couple of months but I have some awesome commissions and projects for home coming up! I realize it's mid way through November which just goes to show that spending time on website updates takes away from projects building time. I am making up for it now!
Over the course of this summer I've been renovating our office space on the main floor of our house to better utilize the space and add another bed for guests to stay. I finished installing a built in desk with walnut that has two drawers and three new walnut slab-type shelves above the desk. Here's some photos of the work:
I used heavy duty wall anchors to attach cleats to the walls that the shelves would slide over when installed. I used a piece of plywood as a spacer to make sure each clearly would be installed parallel to the desk surface. Once the cleats were installed, I trimmed the first shelf to match the one 92 degree corner on the right wall and then slid it over the cleats. Then rinse and repeat the same steps for the second and third shelves by trimming the spacing plywood and installing the remaining cleats. The top shelf was a bear to install so I kept some extra drywall patch material and touch up paint on hand after I got that shelf installed. It was 2 inches wider than the previous two making it that much heavier to slide onto the cleats.
All shelf and desk surfaces were stained with danish oil medium walnut finish and clear coated with 3 coats of wipe on polyurethane for the shelves and 5 coats for the desk top and drawer surfaces.
When I got back to the drawers I figured out my issues and needed to trim the edges of the drawer to taper it slightly and allow the drawer to slide. It took a couple of hours and a LOT of sanding but it worked and I was really relieved. The drawer fronts I aligned and used turners tape to install them with screws through the drawer into the drawer fronts which worked really well. To space them from the underside of the desktop, I used a 1/8" piece of scrap hardboard to ensure that the top edge of both drawers would not run into the desk with possible seasonal movement in the wood/desk. The drawer fronts were resawn so the wood grain makes an oval when the drawers are closed.
Thanks for checking out my work. Talk to you soon!